Sunday, October 14, 2007

Nothing takes God by surprise

A couple of weeks after my return from Haiti, I got an email from Stephanie, the adoption facillitator. She had received Kaflaure's lab report. There were some abnormalities concerning her liver. I felt the breathe knocked out of me. I wasn't sure what it all meant- I just knew my little girl was sick. I did not know if she could live a long normal healthy life. I called Scott at work and tearfully told him the news. After the shock wore off a little, we decided to educate ourselves the best we could. I made an appointment with our pediatrician. We researched the internet and spoke with every person in the medical profession we could. Until we got her home, we would not know exactly the severity. We felt at peace and proceeded on with our adoption. She was our daughter, what else would we do?
A month later, I felt that same sense of foreboding when I received the message that Marie, the "O" director wanted me to call her in Haiti. I could tell by the tone of her voice something was terribly wrong. She explained what had transpired that day. Kaflaure's mother, in anger, had taken Kaflaure with the plan to leave Port au Prince. Marie sounded as heartsick as I felt. She told me she had people out looking for them to try to get Raymonde to bring her back. We agreed that I would call back the next night for an update. I called several nights but the news was the same: they could not be found. All I could think was that sweet little girl, my little girl, was gone from our lives.
Scott, myself, and kids were terribly saddened but our resolve was the same. We still wanted to bring home a baby girl who needed our family. I called Marie back again and told her our decision. This time we would wait on Marie to refer us a baby girl.
Kaflaure's picture still sits in it's place on the table in my bedroom with our other children's pictures. I look into those big brown eyes and remember. The kids and I pray for her often, for her health and safety wherever she is. God knows. He sees. And I remember - I will always remember.

2 comments:

Marta said...

I was so sad for you and your family when this happend. I prayed and prayed that Raymonde would return with her. I so admired your strength and resolve to go forward after that did not happen. It brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it now. Rose Carly is a beautiful baby and I am so happy that she will have you as her forever mama. God knows what is best, even when we can't see the way or even remember that.
Marta

Rochelle Farewell said...

May God hold you all in His arms, just as surely as he holds little Rose Carly! He has a plan, just trust Him.
Our prayers are with you!