Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Sad News

We recently got an email from the adoption facillitator of our orphanage. I felt the same sense of foreboding as in the past. She started the email with "It's painful for me to have to tell you this but I must." Her news was that our sweet little Rose Carly has been diagnosed with Graves Disease. When I shared it online, I had a few of the moms that have spent time with her to say they think that she may have some other serious medical issues. We are so very sad for her. She is very responsive. One mom told me she had only to smile at her from across the room and she would smile back. She is so precious.
We have decided not to pursue our adoption with her. We are praying that a special family who is more prepared to meet her needs will step up as we do not feel that we are able.
I called Marie, the orphanage director, about the situation. She sounded as discouraged as she did the night she had to tell me that our Kaflaure had been taken away. She truly cares for the children and their adopting families. We discussed everything for quite sometime. She explained that she had been concerned about Rose Carly and had held our file until she had a diagnosis. The older Rose Carly got, it was more evident that something was wrong. Marie was watching the baby and had to keep taking her back to the doctor for testing before she was diagnosed. She had not shared her concerns with me so I was antsy about the hold-up with our file. I am so thankful for her wisdom and perseverance. I received an email from Marie telling that she loved me and Rose Carly. I do believe she does. She wants the best for us all.
Rose Carly's future is uncertain with several possibilities. I would ask everyone reading this to pray for her when you get finished reading this. She seems to make an impression on everyone who meets her. Please pray also for Dada, her surrogate mom/nanny. Whatever decision is made will touch her also and she loves Rose Carly dearly.
As for us, well, we are waiting again. We lost our Kaflaure and Marie referred us baby Nerlande. Unfortunately, she was so severely malnourished and fighting TB that Marie was concerned for her life. She felt we needed to wait for another referral. When Rose Carly's former placement fell through, we happily acccepted that referral. We could just imagine her as a part of our family. When I told Scott about Rose Carly's health issues, he asked me if I thought we should just give up. If it were only for us, I would maybe say yes. The reason we wanted to adopt from Haiti in the first place was to offer a child a chance she would not get if she stayed in her situation. That has not changed. There is still a little girl out there that needs us. I can't explain why we are having these experiences. I do know that now there are three precious little girls that are in my family's hearts that we pray for daily. I never received a picture of Nerlande but the other two are framed and sitting on a table in my bedroom with my other children. They sit as a constant reminder that they are real and have needs and I refuse to ever forget them.

3 comments:

livingpurereligion said...

So touching... thanks for sharing. Rose Carly is in my prayers, as is your entire family. This adoption process is the hardest thing we've ever set out to do, but also the most rewarding. Adoption is not for the faint of heart. We put ourselves out there, we love with reckless abandon, our heart breaks a million times, but still we stay... knowing that in the end it will have been worth every single tear that we've cried! Thanks for being brave enough to continue the fight to make a difference in the life of an orphan.

Not Betty Crocker said...

In my thoughts and prayers!

Natalie said...

Oh Leanne,
I am praying for you and for Rose Carly. God has a plan for her and for your family.
May God comfort your hearts as you wait on Him.
Natalie